Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Future

The future of journalism lies in social media. The current trend shows that more and more people are use blackberries and iPODs to attain the news. Outlets like Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, and Blogger.com have become ways of relaying information instantly. An eye witness took photos of the Hudson River plane crash and began posting on Twitter before any media or press could arrive. Already we have seen a loss in newspaper sales, as well as less people tuning in to watch the evening news. Why is that? Do we have less time to sit down and get the news this way or is our attention span get shorter than ever before? Whatever it is current trends show that as Americans we want our news when we want it, we no longer have the time or patience to wait until the six o'clock news. Now the future lies in the hands of the consumer. In that blackberry across the internet is where the future of journalism lies. We can expect to see a turn towards more subjective and concentrated news. Which means we will see more and more news outlets, and a down turn in major corporate stations like CNN and FOX. Smaller stations will rise up and offer selective journalism aimed at a certain audience. This is the future of journalism and it will be here sooner than later. By 2010-11 expect this to be the norm. By this time every one will have an iPHONE and a laptop on them at any given time. People can not go a day without being connected, the younger generations will lead the way in communication technology. Already you see young people to busy sending text messages to bother looking where they are walking or driving. While it may seem annoying and ignorant or rude to older generations it is the future and this is where it is heading. The future of journalism will depend on journalist being able to reach out to these individuals through their social media devices.

1 comment:

  1. I don't even know how I could survive without social media. I wouldn't know what to do without my Blackberry.

    I wake up in the mornings, roll over and pick up my laptop. All my news is e-mailed to me in a Yahoo account that is also set up on my phone. When I am not able to finish my news stories or emails on my laptop, I can finish them on my phone. These sources of social media such as facebook, twitter, and blogger, are all under my bookmarks. I would be lost if they weren't at my fingertips. With news on the internet-I am able to pick and choose what news I want to read, what relates to my interests, etc.

    It also states that everyone will have an iphone / laptop at any given time by 2010. Of course they will. I wouldn've actually already switched to an iPhone by now however, I have a friend over seas for the semester-and the only way we can communicate is through BBM (Blackbery Messenger). Blackberrys are the only way for use to be able to communicate.

    Our society may not exactly be utilizing these outlets as news sources, but everyone will be demanding faster and more convenient ways to find out their (personal) information.
    These forms of social media are used as business cards and additions to resumes. On personal accounts, I've been asked to give URLs to facebook, twitter, myspace, etc. It is important that we are careful and we know our limits in expressing ourselves. It is also important that we fact-check information that we receive from these forms of media.

    ReplyDelete